There are times when we are forced to deal with litigation. Whether the other party is an individual, business, or entity, it’s imperative to have the proper representation. After all, the civil litigation attorney you choose can make all the difference. Keep reading for tips on how to choose the ideal civil litigation lawyer for your case.
- Place an emphasis on qualifications – It’s essential that your litigation lawyer has experience in the area of law that your case involves. Be sure to take the time reviewing the qualifications of potential fits. Should your case go to trial, make sure that the lawyer has significant trial experience. Now’s not the time to team with a recently licensed attorney or one with little experience in a courtroom. At Cavett, Abbott & Weiss, our civil litigation attorneys have more than six decades of experience.
- See if they actually listen well – Civil litigation isn’t exactly black and white. With that in mind, there is no one-size-fits-all approach that a lawyer can take across all clients. You deserve a lawyer you can trust and feel comfortable working with. Steer clear of lawyers who are condescending, uncomfortable answering questions, or hurried in conversations. The right litigator will help you understand your case and the process. Keep in mind that an attorney who fails to listen will only make things more stressful.
- Determine if they understand the strengths/weaknesses of a case – If you’re a business owner, in particular, you want an honest assessment of your case. Will there be challenges along the way and how can you prepare for that? By no means should your lawyer guarantee the best result. A lot of folks don’t realize that the judicial process tends to be unpredictable.
- Know who will handle your case – Let’s say you’ve gotten in touch with a local litigation law firm and outlined your situation. You then met with a lawyer and were impressed with what he or she had to offer. But will that attorney be the one who works on your case and represents you throughout the litigation process? Some law firms relegate cases to less experienced associates. With so much on the line, be sure to make it clear up front who you want tackling your case.
- Make sure they have realistic expectations – The goal of a civil litigation attorney is to work tirelessly for their client in order to achieve the best possible outcome. As aforementioned above, they should not promise unrealistic expectations, let alone promise a guarantee.
How Our Litigation Law Firm Can Help
At Cavett, Abbott & Weiss, we are dedicated to providing the most effective, efficient, and reliable counsel to individual and corporate clients in the courts. From title insurance defense and construction litigation to real estate litigation and other commercial litigation, we can be of assistance. Rather than make the mistake of choosing the wrong attorney, we recommend you team with a law firm you can trust.
Schedule your consultation today. You can’t afford to go to court without us®.