So you made the biggest mistake of your life and now you’re facing legal ramifications. You decide that teaming with a local defense attorney gives you the best chance to mitigate your sentence. However, if you don’t take the time to find the right defense lawyer, you’re only putting yourself further behind the 8-ball. In this blog post, we will dive into the top mistakes to avoid when hiring a defense attorney.
- Hiring a criminal attorney who doesn’t specialize in criminal defense – You may have a friend or family member who practices law in another field other than criminal defense. At first thought, this may seem like a reasonable idea and potential way to save big money in your case. But hiring someone outside of the criminal defense realm can come back to bite you. First, consider that these laws are complex and continue to change. Secondly, you need an attorney who is knowledgeable and comfortable in a stressful courtroom.
- Hiring counsel out of pressure – Your mind is likely racing during this time. The last thing you want is to be pressured into signing with a particular law firm. So do some research of your own and don’t take the bait from a law office rushing you to make a decision.
- Hiring an overly aggressive attorney – You want the absolute best legal representation. The lawyer you choose should put ample time and effort into the case in order to come up with the best results. However, be wary of those who boast about how they’ve never lost a case. The lawyers who have the most success are those who push for the best deposition without dragging their clients through expensive and emotionally draining trials.
- Hiring an attorney who guarantees a victory – There are some attorneys out there who only care about “winning and losing” cases. But criminal cases shouldn’t be viewed in the same light as sports. Keep in mind that no one can predict the outcome of a criminal case ahead of time. So when an attorney goes so far as to promise a victory, it’s best to move on to the next option on your list. Now that’s not to say that a defense attorney can’t suggest potential outcomes, but guaranteeing a particular result is never a good tactic.
- Hiring an inexperienced attorney – We all strive to save money whenever possible. But when there are potential criminal charges on the line, you want to steer clear of inexperienced lawyers. Should you choose to place your freedom in the hands of someone with little criminal defense experience, you’re setting yourself up for failure.
About Our Criminal Defense Lawyers
At Cavett, Abbott & Weiss, PLLC, our criminal defense attorneys have well over 60 years of combined industry experience. From traffic citations and DUI’s to death penalty cases, we can provide the representation you deserve. Our law firm doesn’t believe in shady strategies to try and win over clients. Rather, we let our experience speak for itself. The mission of Cavett, Abbott & Weiss is simple: to provide effective, efficient, and reliable trial counsel to corporate and individual clients. In addition to our criminal defense practice, our Chattanooga law office also specializes in civil litigation. This could range from automobile and premises liability to intentional torts and business torts.
Don’t follow up one big mistake with another one. Each of our lawyers not only works to get you the best possible outcome but peace of mind as well. We make it a point to communicate with clients throughout the process, answering any question you may have to the best of our ability.
Schedule your consultation today and let’s started.