You’ve made the biggest mistake of your life. Whether it’s a DUI or DWI offense, neither is considered just a minor traffic violation. Maybe you’ve heard that DUI charges pose serious threats to a person’s way of life and career should they lose their license. This is absolutely true. But just because you’ve been arrested on DUI charges doesn’t mean that your life is over. Keep reading to learn the steps you must take in order to have any chance of success with your case.
- Jot down what happened – Not surprisingly, DUI cases are often won and lost in the details. Believe it or not, what you think are insignificant details could actually be deemed critical pieces of information. Try to remember when/where you were stopped, the reason the officer gave for your stop, any details regarding a breath test, and what you told the officer that you ate or drank.
- Keep your online profile private – Now’s not the time to explain your side of the arrest on social media. Prosecutors will do whatever they can to gain that extra edge during the trial. Anything you post online can and will be used against you. So avoid posting any incriminating photos or posts of yourself. We recommend to play things as safe as possible and mark your profile as private.
- Identify potential witnesses – It’s a good idea to talk to any friends, family, or acquaintances who may have been with you prior to the time of your arrest. Consider asking them if they would be willing to testify on your behalf in court. You may not think so, but witnesses can make a difference in your defense.
- Contact your local DUI defense attorney – It’s easy to panic during this time and not make rational decisions. That’s why we recommend consulting DUI lawyers to start working on your case as quickly as possible. Note that a DUI attorney will carefully examine the details of your case and make sure that all of your rights were respected during the arrest/testing procedures.
- Don’t obsess – As aforementioned above, it’s natural to overthink potential consequences and outcomes of your case. But once you hire an attorney, let them handle the necessary details. Don’t be afraid to communicate with them regularly and go to them with any concerns. Rest assured that an experienced attorney will fight for your case and take much of the burden off your plate. Again, there’s only so much you can do so try to relax and live life as normally as possible.
Contact Our DUI Defense Attorney
At the Chattanooga law firm of Cavett, Abbott & Weiss, we can take on your DUI case with ease. With a combined 60 years as DUI defense attorneys, we’ve helped countless folks get back on their feet. But it’s important to act swiftly soon after the arrest. Following an initial consultation, we will get to work fighting on your behalf and do whatever we can to mitigate any negative circumstances.
We are proud to be Chattanooga’s Top Rated Local® legal services. Give us a call today to get started with your case. You can’t afford to go to court without us®.