It’s never smart to drive under the influence. For many Chattanooga residents, a DUI charge usually leads to huge fines, costly attorney fees, license suspension, and/or jail time. In this post, we thought it would be good to debunk some of the most popular DUI myths.
Here are our top eight:
- You can only be charged with DUI if you are behind the wheel of a car – This couldn’t be further from the truth. Let’s say that you get into your car despite having too much to drink and turn into the nearest parking lot. You can still be arrested and charged with DUI in this situation even after getting out of your vehicle.
- You won’t get caught as long as you drive carefully – Have you ever heard someone say they’re “a good drunk driver?” These people are flirting with disaster, and that’s putting it lightly. All it takes is one failed breathalyzer test at a sobriety checkpoint for your entire life to change.
- DUI penalties are the same across the board – Wrong. A first-time offense can include anywhere from 48 hours to one year in jail time. Those with a blood alcohol content (BAC) of 0.20 or higher are subjected to a minimum of seven days of consecutive jail time. Check out “DUI Penalties in Tennessee” for additional information.
- A breathalyzer is the most accurate way to measure blood alcohol content – It’s important to know that a breathalyzer is used to simply estimate BAC levels by measuring chemical content in one’s breath.
- You must submit to everything the officer tells you to do – This isn’t factual, either. Your best bet is to remain silent (as explained to you in your rights) and avoid performing the roadside maneuvers. While you certainly shouldn’t be disruptive with the officer, you are not legally obligated to do a thing in such a scenario.
- It’s best to lie to the police about drinking – Again, probably not the best strategy. Should you lie about your drinking, you can also get charged with obstruction of justice. Don’t make the situation worse than it already is.
- Chewing gum is an effective way to get the smell of alcohol off your breath – Just because you put a stick of gum in your mouth doesn’t mean you’re in the clear. If an officer has any inclination you’ve been drinking (i.e. slurring your words, swerving, etc.), you’re going to face an uphill legal battle.
- You can’t get hit with a DUI after having just two drinks – You decide to blow off some steam after work with a few drinks. Should there be any concern if you end up getting pulled over on the way home? Remember that the only way to avoid a DUI is to not drink and drive in the first place.
DEPENDABLE DUI HELP IN CHATTANOOGA
We see all sorts of DUI cases at the law office of Cavett, Abbott & Weiss. If you or someone you know is facing DUI charges, you need to act swiftly. This is where our Chattanooga law firm comes into play.
We have more than 60 years of combined experience as DUI defense attorneys and we’re certain we can help you in your case as well. Don’t just try any defense lawyer to be your legal advocate during this stressful time. Get the DUI help you need today.